Sunday, 1 October 2017

Budget DIY: Transform Your Bargain Frame into an Urban Outfitters-esque Hanging Frame!

It occurred to me that despite the frequency of budget DIY projects that I engage in so as to transform the small box bedroom that I inhabit into my very own sanctuary, I seldom divulge them on here. 
Lately, I've both discovered and become enamoured with the delicate vintage glass hanging/floating frames that have been on trend. I've amassed a few affordable ones which I've searched high and low for thanks to my abstemious tendencies (the links to which i'll place below). I carefully arrange and enclose pressed flowers and leaves in them and it instantly provides the room with a botanical/naturalistic vibe which is the theme that my little den is centred around, I'm especially partial to those in gold or silver as the exude an antique feel. As aforementioned if you too are smitten with them but cannot however commit to some of the extortionate prices usually ranging between £8-£20 at H&M, Urban Outfitters and your usual independent shops, then you're in luck! Being the thrifty person that I am, I've deduced the reasonably priced versions, one of which is from Wilkos for a mere £3. Over the past month I've walked past it, wistfully wishing it came without the tacky clich├ęd print along the bottom or the ribbon tie, it just was not my cup of tea. One day I had an epiphany moment; the drawbacks that I fussed about could very easily be resolved with the tiniest amount of effort.  So I took initiative and present you with this simple tutorial that doesn't exceed 15 minutes:

1) First and foremost, have all your required materials at the ready; the frame of choice, a penny, scissors and a length of twine.



2) As can be seen, the quote is in a frosted silver cursive. Proceed to unhinging and opening the frame to expose the side on which the writing has been printed.



 3) In order to test out whether your penny is the appropriate instrument to use you may want to perform a gentle scratch test on the tip of the writing at an angle of 45 degree angle. If you're pleased with the result proceed to using the same technique on the remaining letters. Blow away the debris every so often to discern the detached pieces from areas you may have overlooked. Note that in order to avoid etching and abrasion of glass go about it gently and take your time... the end result will be worth the time you've invested.



4) Once you have removed the writing, remove the undesirable ribbon or material and replace with the same length of twine. Snip off the excess ends... and voila there you have it, you very own inexpensive hanging frame!



I have yet to style and find a home for the frame along with the others which I'd be happy to showcase in a blogpost if any of you were interested... for now though, here's the frame in all it's glory!




Frames: Herehere and here

1 comment:

  1. I'd love for you to share more about your DIY/home ideas and inspirations! This is a great tutorial because I'd never thought about doing something like that, but actually changing up a few bits from cheaper items can make them look so much better - and you can customise them exactly as you want!
    The final result with the leaves look super pretty, you've done a good job and this is good inspiration for a little autumn frame - with a variety of orange and red leaves for example!

    Julia x
    Last Post: Autumnal Nail Polishes | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/beauty-autumn-nails-with-sinful-colours.html

    ReplyDelete